Vracar Plato, Beograd, Srbija, 2007

Ever since 1595, when the Turks, who occupied this area, burnt the remains of Saint Sava here (the founder of the Serbian ortodox church) this clearing on Vracar Hill has been a cult spot for all serbs. In 1895 a church was erected here. It still stands today. By 1935 the construction of the largest orthodox church began (the church of Saint Sava), but it was soon halted after German attacks on Beograd in april of 1941. After the war, the Tito’s regime denied permission to continue the stopped work. Finally in 1984 construction resumed and in 2004 the exterior walls and cupolas were finished. Work on the interior is still in progress.
This beautiful space around the church of Saint Sava surrounded by the contemporary national library building, numerous monuments, fountains and a well designed and maintained park is a favourite spot of many residents of Beograd, especially during the hot summer nights.

sociability
10
ceremonial
x
uses & activities
9
religious
x
access & linkages
8
social
x
comfort
10
residential
x
image
8
traffic circle
x
tourist value
8
with park
x
total
53
street, shopping
x
..........




urban squares initiative by aleksandar janicijevic is licensed under a creative commons attribution-share alike 2.5 canada license.

Last time updated on Saturday, December 14, 2013, 4:23 PM